Friday, July 17, 2009

swimming success

Carter and Sydney completed their 2-week swim lessons yesterday and both did Awesome!
Syd wins the award for "most improved" since the first week she screamed bloody murder and would not participate at all. I would make her get in but then she would freak out and just cry. (which is ridiculous because when we go to the pool just to swim she loves it) Then over the weekend with a lot of coaching and persistence from Dad, she grew a tail and turned into a mermaid! She was laughing and doing the strokes and telling her instructor "watch this" and then going under water for 10 seconds or so, and just surprising everyone.

Her instructor Aaron, also swimteam coach, was very patient and was very relieved when we showed up Monday and Sydney had COMPLETELY changed. One mom even came up to me and said "what did you guys do to her over the weekend?" Basically we just made our stubborn girl go in the water and do what her instructor had been trying to get her to do the week before.... I guess that's the way Syd learns. She has to be forced into some things to realize that she totally loves it. It's the same way she learned to kneeboard. And I don't remember if she was like that with riding horses or if she has always been a natural little cowgirl. So anyways, LOTS of improvement with Miss Syd!

And Carter from the get-go was diving for rings and bringing 4 of them up at a time, doing the crawl and back stroke, and diving in the deep-end. Carter loves being in the water and could probably stay in the pool all day long. He did Amazing with his lessons and really improved his crawl stroke. He can swim the width of the pool doing crawl stroke with good form. In order to go in the deep-end during free swim he has to do the swim test of swimming the length of the pool without stopping and with doing correct form and breathing. I think he'll be able to do it by the end of the summer. And SwimTeam, here we come next year!



And this was my little fellow spectator. Damian loved bringing his trains every day and driving them all over the lounge chairs.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

fun! you are lucky damian is such a good spectator and wasn't trying to jump in the pool the whole time! :) c'mon, where are the "after" pics!!!!!!!!!

Monique said...

I'm glad swimming was successful this time around! Does Carter want to do swim team? That would be so fun! I'm hoping Sam wants to do it eventually. The pool is so convienant and nice, huh? I love it!

Melissa P said...

Thats so funny that syd didnt want to get in at first! So unlike her! Im glad she came around though- Is carter doing swim team? I bet he will be awesome!