Thursday, June 17, 2010

tickets


About 3 weeks ago we started a new system with the kids. Anytime we see them using good behavior, they get a ticket. When they listen the first time we ask them to do something, or if they share, or are just playing nicely, or if they clean up without being asked to, they get a ticket. Each child has a baggie with their name on it for collecting their tickets. There are 3 rules:
1. They cannot ask for a ticket.
2. We cannot take tickets away for bad behavior.
3. We cannot bribe them with a ticket.
Then when they have saved so many tickets they can cash them in for a reward:
5 tickets = a treat from the treasure box
10 tickets = a chore pass
10 tickets = 20 minutes of xbox time
20 tickets= a date night with mom and/or dad

Carter has been saving his tickets and just reached 20 tickets and so we are planning to take him to see the new Karate Kid movie. Sydney and Damian have chosen to cash theirs in for treats and so haven't earned the big rewards yet.

This system has really helped me to look for positive behavior and then to give praise for it. I have found that I have been yelling less, and that the kids are more likely to listen when I ask them to do something. Sometimes it's even fun to give them a ticket just because!

One night I was carrying Sydney from our bed back to her bed and she woke up, leaped out of my arms and ran into the bathroom and threw up. She made it to the toilet and was being so brave about it and so I told her I was going to give her a ticket for not getting any throw-up on the carpet or in my bed. She got the cutest little grin and was so excited about getting a ticket. Yesterday Carter got a ticket for waking up and getting dressed and eating breakfast without me having to remind him a million times (or even once). This morning Damian got a ticket for brushing his teeth without me asking him to.

Hooray for tickets, hooray for good behavior and hooray for Dyann for inspiring me!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

seems like a great system! is it hard not to bribe with tickets? i think i would have a hard time not doing that... it seems like i am constantly using "incentives" ie bribing, to get good behavior...

Melissa P said...

That is just like carter to save his up for the "big prize" Congrats on the kiddos for earning their tickets!

Madison Bradshaw said...

yay! i am so glad the ticket thing is working!! way to go!! i started using it in my class and it works like a charm!!! :)

Velma said...

I like the ticket idea. I could see it working when we were there last weekend. Good job!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Wow, that sounds like such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!