birth story:
Tuesday night I took the kids to piano lessons and then went to visit my friend Emily. While I was there I told her I felt like my stomach was tightening and that maybe they were contractions but they didn't hurt. Em felt my stomach and told me those were definitely contractions!
Went home and went to bed still feeling the tightening sensation but unsure if it was the beginning of labor. With our first 3 kids the contractions always started in my back and these were all in the front. I woke up at 2:30 feeling the tightening again and tried to watch some tv. I checked my phone and had just received an email from my dad so called him since he was up late. I still didn't think it was labor because there was no pain, just a little cramping. My contractions were about 45 seconds long and 4 minutes apart! I took a bath and then called again around 4am to let my mom know that she should start driving over. I called my midwives to give them a heads up and then called Sis. By the time Sis arrived at 5:15am they were definitely feeling like real contractions and had moved to my back. I was starving and ate some leftover lasagna but then almost threw it all up. By 6:15 the contractions were hard to talk through and the pain was definitely intensifying. Sis suggested I sit on the birthing ball for a while and that helped for a bit. Sis texted Sarah and Dawn (my midwives) to make sure they were on their way. At about 7 we moved to Sydney's bed to try lay down through the pain. Sis pulled out a girl and a boy outfit from the closet to give me something to focus on.
| just contracting over here... |
Sarah suggested I move to the birthing tub (set up in our living room) and I got in at about 8am. By this point the contractions were very hard but I still had no idea that the baby was coming soon. I thought I had another couple of hours of intense labor and I was preparing for a long morning of pain! We sent the kids downstairs to watch a movie since school didn't start for another hour. I had 2 or 3 intense contractions in the tub and then knew it was time to start pushing. I had bought some pool noodles at Target the day before to act as buoys to keep me afloat in the water.
| literally about 20 minutes before birth |
Sarah suggested I move to my knees and grip the edge of the tub with my hands. This position seemed to work better and I did 2 or 3 hard pushes and the baby was out!
Dawn wrapped the babe (still in the water) in a swaddling blanket while I moved back to sitting and then she placed her in my arms. We still didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. I was finally able to pull away the blanket and check the sex and discovered it was a GIRL!!!
| This is right after I looked down and discovered she was a "she" |
| I was so glad that Carter, Sydney and Damian could meet her when she was just minutes old! |
| my midwife Sarah, who is quite excellent by the way... |
| Sis was such an AMAZING birthcoach! Seriously, don't know what I would have done without her! |
| we love her |
| 8 hours old |
Nora Pearl Dunn
February 29, 2012
8:29am
7 pounds, 4 oz
20 inches long
| perfection |
4 comments:
Beautiful and amazing! Congratulations!
YAY for Nora... can't wait to meet her! and send some of those speedy birth vibes my way... :) and send Sis as a birthing coach too.
shell you are amazing!! love this story and i cannot believe how strong you are! wow! :) what a healthy cute little girl! i can't wait to see her!
Such a miracle..........You did great Shell. I am glad everything went so quickly and you did not have a long labor. As much as I wanted to be there for the birth, I was thankful that Nora came quickly and she was healthy.
Post a Comment