Sunday, September 28, 2008

first marathon, baby!

last weekend i ran in the Logan, Top of Utah marathon with my sister madison. here are the goods if you care to read a long and detailed post:

dames and i flew to utah on thursday and spent the day with my sister danielle. friday we drove to my grandpa's house in ogden and then drove up to logan and spent the night with my dad's cousin Karla. saturday morning we all woke up at 4:40 to get ready and go catch one of the buses that would take 2,000+ runners up Black Fork Canyon. we were anticipating it to be freezing, but luckily the temperature was pretty nice and when the gun went off at 7am we were fired up! the first 8 miles or so we were cruising: running mid 7 minute miles for a while... i got a side ache at mile 4 which was weird for me (i usually don't have a problem with those). so down the canyon we go!!! danielle and dames and dani's man, matt, were cheering for us at mile 14 (spectators couldn't drive up the canyon until that point) and they were the BEST cheerleaders! dani had a bell, and a sign and was going cRaZY when we'd run by! after passing by dani again at about mile 17 a lady running next to me asked "did you pay her to do that?" dani was hilarious!! i know she was probably wishing she were out there running with us, but she has been so positive and supportive all throughout her injury.
anyways, miles 17 and 18 i knew i was slowing down and by 19 my legs felt like they couldn't go another step! i made the mistake of stopping for water at the aide station (at previous stations i would grab a cup of water and drink while still running). so i grabbed some water and started walking just while i drank it and when i was finished i couldn't start running again! it was the weirdest feeling: my mind was saying "go" but my legs couldn't accelerate. so i walked for maybe 2 minutes and then finally had enough energy/will-power, whatever it was, to start running again.
my final time was 4 hours and 25 seconds... i guess it was decent for my first.
at the end i needed to be escorted to the water and food table and i was so relieved to have some food! i ate 2 ice cream sandwiches, a bunch of oranges, goldfish, string cheese, cookies, etc... then i had a stomach ache, but i had been famished! i needed some carbs! madz and i got massages afterwards and hung out for the awards ceremony. madz finished 5th in her age division (she was SO KIND to run with me--at mile 19 i made her go on ahead because i knew i was going a lot slower then she could have been going. and had she just done the race at her own pace she would have gotten first--her first marathon time would have given her 1st place in her division). so thanks madz: you helped me a ton!!!
my grandpa came to support us and so it was fun having him there as well...

will i do another?
one lady told me running a marathon is like having a baby: when it's finally over you say "i'll never do that again" and then a few weeks or months later you say "i could do that again...."
i went for my first post-marathon run on friday and it felt really good.

so here are a BUNCH of pictures of the event.... most of the good ones are courtesy of matt turley: http://www.matthewturley.com/ he is AMAZING!

12 comments:

Tiffany said...

You go girl!!! I am so happy for you!!
Okay..... I had such an amazing time at your folks this weekend that I am so ready to go back! I would love to go back when you and the kids are there, so let me know when you are going up next because I had so much fun at "Bradshaw Ranch"!!!!!

md said...

You did awesome!!!! The pictures are really great! Sad all the kids and Mike weren't there to support their sweet momma!

Melissa P said...

Shell you are amazing!!!! Congrats the first of many marathons- I am sure you will do more right?!?!? Anyway- you guys look like you had a good time together! Glad you had some good sideline cheerleaders!

aubreyannie said...

nice job, rachelle! and those pictures ARE amazing..i'm going to check out his site now.

Jolin said...

What an incredible time! I don't think I'll be anywhere close to that. I don't think I could run a 7 minute mile if I tried.

Congratulations on your first marathon - and it looks like you had fun too!

Natalie Warner said...

You are amazing!!!! Well done.

Sarah said...

way to go marathoners! it was great to see you and damian... wish you lived closer!

Bethany said...

wow, that's awesome! If your ever in northern Cal. Call me!

Madison Bradshaw said...

shell you did amazing!! love and shmuv!! you have to do another one with me! we will rock it!

Madison Bradshaw said...

shell you did amazing!! love and shmuv!! you have to do another one with me! we will rock it!

Madison Bradshaw said...

shell you did amazing!! love and shmuv!! you have to do another one with me! we will rock it!

Annette Rose said...

THat is sooo awesome! I always think maybe I want to do one and then I think to my self, "Self, do you really think you want to run 26.2 miles?" and I decide no. But I am so happy for you. Don't you love the "event" I love the people and supporters, and signs and all of that of organized events. I bet Dani had as much fun cheering you guys on. Way to go!