Tuesday, December 02, 2008

my latest craftiness...

it's finally finished! my pottery-barn look-alike advent calendar is hanging up and everytime i look at it i get giddy! my friend had the idea to make our own, rather then pay the $75 from Pottery Barn. so, why not make a bunch? 5 of us ended up making 9 total and I must say, ours turned out way cuter then the original. we changed alot of the pockets--made a much more dainty ballerina as opposed to the jay-leno look-alike ballerina, i added a nativity for the 25th, a cute gingerbread man, melissa designed some cute holly berries and mike even designed and made 2 (drum and toy soldier). my mom even got in on the fun while i was completing it at her house and now she has the itch to make one! a few late-nighters, a bunch of felt, and a lot of sewing and embroidering later, it's complete! big thanks to kristie for the idea and the templates and all the embroidering! i love it!!

14 comments:

Sarah said...

very very cute! i wish i had been there to make one too! what is #13?

Melissa P said...

13 is a baby penguin looking down at its dad, which is #18.... Shell I love the calendar!!! I still need to hang mine up but it turned out soooooo good!! Im glad we made them! Thanks for all your work over Thanksgiving to finish them up!!

aubreyannie said...

wow. NICE JOB, rachelle. i wish i was crafty. or had the patience to be crafty. i love this!

chirodocidahofalls said...

When I first looked at it, I thought she got that from Pottery Barn. My mom gave me the pottery barn one for my birthday a couple days ago but, I must say I can't tell the difference! It looks amazing~ I need your sewing skills~

md said...

so there were 9 made, one to send to your sweet sister-in-law? :)

Jessica F said...

That looks great, you did awesome! Your kids will remember that forever:)

Monique said...

Looks so good! I know you guys put a lot of time into that. If only I had the patience to do fun crafts like that. I love crafty things, but only if it doesn't take TOO long!

Krisser said...

Ta-daa! It's G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S- so many fun hours of working on this together m'dear! Thanks for joining my craziness- can't wait to start on our Halloween one!!!! :)

Madison Bradshaw said...

Cute shell bell!! love it~! your so crafty

Annette Rose said...

I love that! If you decide to make any more and sale them.. I am first on the list to buy one. That just looks to overwhelming for me to tackle but its so cute! I'd love it. I am always looking for a good advent calendar and just never find any I love... until now! Way to go!

Velma said...

Very cute! You did an awesome job.
Such a nice keepsake from year to year. I am sure the kids will look forward to putting out the advent calendar each Christmas season.
xoxoxoxo

Shanda McKeehan said...

This is AWESOME! I can't believe you made it. How did you do it? I want to make one too.

Tiffany said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

Kristen said...

haha - I saw this post and thought "she must be friends with kristie".. Her sister got me started on one too.

i was directed here today by a friend who thought i'd like your new church bag post - it's cute! I'll hafta make one. :)