Monday, February 09, 2009

Gettysburg

Mike and I just returned from a week long trip out to Gettysburg. Mike's brother Joseph and his wife Amanda were sealed in the DC temple along with their baby Harper. It was so special to be there in the temple with them. Joseph has an amazing story and has such a strong testimony and so it was especially neat to see that change in him and be there with him and his family. And Amanda too. She is a convert of about two and a half years and it's always inspiring to me to see people who haven't grown up with the gospel accept it and gain a testimony of their own. I feel like I had it easy having it in my life from the time I was born and so I'm just always really impressed and amazed when I see people who accept the gospel and change their lives around and center them on the Savior.
The temple president sealed them and a few things that he said stood out to me:
"I don't know if there will be temple presidents or stake presidents or bishops in the life hereafter, but I do know that there will be fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, grandparents, sisters and brothers... and that is why we are here at the temple today, to perform this eternal ordinance that can only be done here in the temple through the priesthood."
There wasn't a dry eye in the room when they brought little Harper in and it was just so wonderful to be there with Mike's family and friends.

While in Gettysburg we got a private tour of the battlefields from a family friend who used to be a tour guide for the town. And she really knew her stuff! She spent 3 hours driving us around and re-telling the events of the greatest American battle in history. We could have spent all day with her--she had so much information! It was really kind of her to take the time to do that for us and we really enjoyed the tour.

This was a really neat monument, but of course now I don't remember the name of it or the story behind it. I seriously have the worst memory and don't retain information very well. It stinks.
Of course I made a trip to the outlets, but didn't do much damage... (darn budget!) but i did score some items for $1.49, although nothing at that price for me... It's probably a good thing I don't live 2 minutes away from the outlets like Mike's family does.... but then again, if I did I'd get everything on sale at a bargain price like his sister does! I swear, Michelle finds and holds out for the best deals ever!!!

One day we drove to Hershey and took the tour of the chocolate factory. We probably spent more time in the giftshop looking at candy then we did on the ride, and of course we spent too much money there! Here is my "sweet" mother-in-law and her loot!

Joseph and I had a cozy ride in the backseat on the way to Hershey...

The boys and I played basketball at the church one night and that was fun too.
And here is me with two of my sisters-in-law. I wish we all lived closer so I could spend more time with these girls and Melissa too!--darn, no pics with them..
Amanda and me:



And here's Michelle in her b-day apron.

It was sad not having the kids with us because they would have loved to spend time with their cousins, aunts and uncles, and Bugga and Bukka (gramma and grampa).

They were well taken care of by Mom and Dad and Sis and Paul. Thanks guys!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

looks like a fun eventful trip! good times... can't wait to see you this weekend!

Melissa P said...

Im glad you guys had such a good time! It was fun to hang out with Carter all week, he is a sweet little boy.

aubreyannie said...

i didn't even get a chance to ask you about your trip, so i'm glad you posted this! it sounds and looks like you had a nice time. being with family is always awesome.

md said...

It wonderful to see you guys...miss you tons!